Chenzhong Li, Ph.D.
Office: EC 2612
Phone: (305) 348-0120
Fax: (305) 348-6954
Key words: Bioelectronics, POCTs, Biosensors, Nanotheranostic, etc.
1. Miniaturized Biosensors for Point of Care Testings
My lab is developing several optical and electrical biosensing platforms coupling micro/nano materials, microfluidic technology, and nanoparticles for the detection of biomarkers for cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and DNA oxidative damage. The novel approaches for biomarker detection developed in my laboratory could be applied to the diagnosis of chronic conditions (cancers, cardiac disease, autoimmune diseases), acute events (stroke, cardiac ischemia, head injury), or pathogen detection and toxin exposure assessments, all using a simple, rapid and sensitive device.
2. Whole Cell Analysis and Manipulations
The main focus of this research is toward the development of whole cell based electronic biosensors for monitoring and modulating cellular behaviors at the single cell level or for a group of cells. We developed a chip based cell impedance sensing system capable of rapid assessment of nanotoxicity, neuronal mapping and electrical manipulation of cells.
3. Environmental Sensors for Biological Toxins and Other Chemical Pollution Assay
This work focuses on the development of environmental biosensors for the detection of pathogenic bacteria cells, explosive compounds, radioactive and heavy metals and pesticide and phosphate contaminants. This work was done in collaboration with Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Department of Chemistry (FIU), Everglades Foundation, and the Department of Chemistry at the University of Texas at El Paso.
4. Miniaturized Implantable Enzymatic Biofuel Cell for Sustainable Energy Supply
- 2013 – Guest Editor, Special Issue on Neuron Biosensors, Journal of Neuroscience and Neuroengineering (American Scientific Publishers).
- 2014- Present – Editor, Journal of Sensors (Hindawi Publishing Corporation)
- 2012- Present – Associate Editor, Chemical Sensors (Simplex Academic Publishers)
- 2012- Present – Academic Editor, PLoS ONE
- 2011- Present – Associate Editor, Biosensors Journal (Ashdin Publishing)
- 2010- Present – Associate Editor, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology (Springer)
- 2009 – Guest Editor, Special Issue on Biomedical Engineering, American Journal of Biomedical Science (New World Publishing International, Inc NWPII)