Coulter Undergraduate Research Excellence – MedTech Track Internship
The FIU Biomedical Engineering Department has established the Coulter Undergraduate Research Excellence Program (CURE) MedTech Track internship for undergraduate students. This opportunity was developed with the objective to introduce Biomedical Engineering students to concepts in Technology Transfer. Students in this year-long CURE MedTech Program will commit to 15 hours per week working with the FIU Tech Transfer Office. Students will also have an opportunity to participate in career development workshops.
Students will learn about identifying innovations in research and technology development that address unmet needs and the various routes to move these from academia to industry. The students will work alongside professionals in the Office of Technology Management and Commercialization to analyze cutting-edge FIU technologies for patentability, as well as the steps involved in marketing and licensing the technologies to potential collaborators/licensees.
No previous research or industry experience
$250 per student for career development expenses
One year of research or industry experience
$10/hour for a 15-hour week
$350 per student for career development expenses
Students may apply at the volunteer “Trainee” stage. Students with relevant research or industry experience can apply for the “Researcher” stage to receive a stipend.
• Must be an undergraduate BME student/minimum 3.0 GPA
• Must submit an unofficial transcript\
• Must submit a personal statement (200 words maximum) that describes future career goals
• Must submit a statement (500 words maximum) that describes how inclusion in the CURE MedTech program align with future goals
Judging and Ranking criteria
• Qualifications of the applicant
• Motivation of the applicant to participate in the program
• Quality (spelling, grammar, language, etc.) and completeness of the application
• Winners will be notified via email