FIU will host the inaugural BioFlorida Latin America & Caribbean Life Sciences Conference, a two-day event (March 27-28) focused on best practices in life sciences, including research, development, commercialization, intellectual property law and financing.
The conference, organized by BioFlorida and sponsored in part by FIU and Life Sciences South Florida, is an opportunity for industry professionals from the U.S. and Latin America to explore potential collaborations in established and emerging markets, including pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device companies.
Investors, regulatory experts, government officials and research institutions from the U.S. and Latin America will attend. Florida Secretary of Commerce and Enterprise Florida CEO Gray Swoope is one of the keynote speakers.
Conference attendees will also be given tours of FIU’s research and teaching facilities, including the Stocker AstroScience Center, the Simulation Teaching and Research Center at the Nicole Wertheim College of Nursing and Health Sciencesand FIU’s Biomedical Engineering Department laboratories.
- Mark B. Rosenberg, PhD, President, Florida International University
- Irma Becerra-Fernandez, PhD, Vice President for Engagement, Florida International University
- Nancy K. Bryan, President & CEO, BioFlorida, Inc.
- Carlos Lopez-Cantera, Lieutenant Governor, State of Florida (Invited)
- Jack Osterholt, Deputy Mayor of Miami-Dade County
- Gabriela Gebrin Cezar, DVM, PhD, Senior Director & Head, External R&D Innovation; Brazil, Latin America & South Africa Worldwide Research and Developments, Pfizer, Inc.
- Jim Hogan, President, Medtronic Latin America, Vice President, Medtronic, Inc.
- Gray Swoope, Florida Secretary of Commerce, President & CEO, Enterprise Florida, Inc.
- Miguel Ángel Margáin, Director General of the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property, Mexican Patent Commissioner
- Andrew Duffell, President & CEO Research Park at Florida Atlantic University
- Matthias Haury, PhD, COO, Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience
- Mel Rothberg, PhD, COO, Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute (VGTI) of Florida
- Juan Young, PhD, Assistant Professor of Human Genetics & Co-Director at the John P. Hussman Institute for Human Genomics, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
by Marlen Mursuli